Crispy Oven Baked "Fried Chicken" Drumettes
If you love the taste of crispy fried chicken but aren't a fan of how you feel after, this recipe is going to change your life. This is a true healthy fried chicken hack using just a few ingredients you probably already have in the pantry. Enjoy these by themselves or add a sticky, sweet sauce like sweet chilli or honey soy for a Korean fried chicken twist.
2kg Free Range Chicken Drumettes
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp coconut sugar (or you can sub for another sugar you have on hand)
1 tbsp salt flakes
1 1/2 tbsp of Redgum BBQ Chicken Rub (or sub for a mix of garlic powder and black pepper - or any other meat rub you might have in the pantry)
1. Preheat oven to 120C. Prepare two large oven trays by laying down baking paper and placing a wire rack over each if you have one - if not, you can put the drumettes straight onto the baking paper and they'll still turn out great! Spray or brush the racks with olive oil to help the drumettes not to stick.
2. In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
3. Pat drumettes dry with paper towel, then toss with the rub mix and olive oil until all the drumettes are evenly coated.
4. Place drumettes onto the wire racks - try to give them a bit of breathing room between each piece as this will help the hot air to circulate and give you a crispier result.
5. Slide both trays into the oven and bake for 35 mins on 120C, then bump the oven up to 220C for another 20 - 30 mins.
6. Serve with your favourite sauce and enjoy!