Duck Fat Fries with Homemade Truffle Mayo
The best oven baked chips out there, these fries are deliciously crispy thanks to our free range duck fat. Paired with a batch of canola oil free homemade mayo, which you can keep and use for sandwiches, burgers and dips throughout the week!
3/4 cup avocado oil
1 free range egg yolk (plus one extra if needed)
A generous pinch of salt
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard
Truffle oil (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Add enough duck fat to a cast iron pan or oven tray to generously cover the bottom, then pop into the oven as its preheating to get nice and hot.
2. Slice potatoes up into chunky chip sized pieces, then parboil in a steamer basket for about 10 mins or until juuust cooked through (but not soft yet). Transfer to a colander and toss vigorously to rough up the outsides of the chips (this will make them crispier).
3. Take your pan/tray out of the oven - it should be hot enough that the fat sizzles a bit when you put a chip in. Add all the potatoes in and toss with the fat and a big pinch of salt until well coated. Add back into the oven for 40 mins, turning once or twice as needed to cook evenly.
4. Now - mayo time! Grab a medium sized bowl and a whisk. Add one egg yolk to the bowl and whisk up with all ingredients but the oils. The key to nailing this next part is to go SLOW! While you whisk continuously, pour in a tiny stream of avocado oil into the egg mixture. Think one drop at a time! As you whisk, this mixture will emulsify and thicken. Keep going until you've mixed in all the avocado oil and the mayo has reached your desired consistency. If the mayo isn't thickening as much as you want, add another egg yolk to a fresh bowl and SLOWLY mix in the other mayo mix bit by bit. This should thicken things up substantially.
Note: we actually used a stick blender to do just the last bit of thickening on our mayo (after all ingredients were already combined) and it worked really well to get it to the right consistency.
5. Add truffle oil to the mayo to taste (a little goes a long way!) - you can also add more lemon juice, etc. to taste if the seasonings aren't quite to your liking. Transfer into a sealed container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Serve together and enjoy!