Korean Style Kimchi Braised Short Ribs
1 onion, thinly sliced
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 ½ tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp mirin
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup kimchi
Mixed mushrooms (shitake, oyster, etc.)
Salt and pepper to season
- Cut each of your short ribs into two or three pieces (if you prefer you can leave them whole as they tend to shrink with cooking). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a generous lug of peanut oil in a heavy based pot large enough for all your ingredients. You can use either a slow cooker or a big pot for this recipe - we used a cast iron pot for ours but if you’re using a slow cooker, do the browning on a separate pan on the stove. We prefer the stove method as we’ve found it's easier to thicken the sauce, but it’s totally up to you! Add your meat and brown evenly on all sides, then remove from pot and put aside.
- Add garlic and onion to pan and fry until they begin to soften, then add ginger, mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil and stir to combine. If you’re using a slow cooker then once the onion and garlic has softened, move to the slow cooker and add all following ingredients there.
- Add in your broth and kimchi, then pop the short ribs back in. Turn down to a low heat and cook for 3 - 4 hours with the lid on. You’ll know it’s ready when your meat is tender and pulls apart easily. When you have approximately half an hour left on the clock, add in your mixed mushrooms.
- Serve with sticky rice, a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a little extra kimchi on the side.