BBQ Style Beef Brisket
Slow cooked Beef Brisket is a mainstay of the barbecue repertoire, but in this cold and rainy weather we don’t really feel compelled to crack out the Weber. The solution? Oven cook it. By turning up the paprika in this recipe, you can still get a deliciously smokey barbecue flavour without the actual coals.
- 1.5 – 2kg Beef Brisket
- 2 tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Salt Reduced Beef Stock
- 4 tbsp of Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 170C and take your Brisket out of the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Apply the spice rub to your brisket on all sides. Place the brisket in a dish with enough room for it to sit comfortably and put it, uncovered in the oven for the initial hour.
- Combine the beef stock, tomato sauce, Worcestershire and vinegar in a bowl to form the sauce.
- Take the brisket out of the oven and pour the sauce all around the edges – lifting up the meat to make sure the sauce seeps underneath. It should form a shallow pool around the brisket. Tightly cover the dish with foil making sure there are no cracks for the air to escape.
- Turn the oven down to 150C and cook the brisket for another 3 – 5 hours – until it’s tender enough to pull apart with a fork. When testing for doneness you can use that opportunity to baste the brisket by spooning over the sauce. When your brisket is done, let it rest covered for 20 minutes then slice thinly across the grain to serve.