Chicken and Prawn Wontons
Wontons are one of the most fun dishes to make from scratch. They are deceptively easy, oddly satisfying, and extremely delicious. They are also a really easy dish to make with the kids, especially if you are looking for something fun to do with them at home.
- 100g prawns (de-shelled)
- 250g Free Range Chicken Mince (our chicken mince is made from thigh which is perfect for this dish)
- 4 tbsp finely diced spring onion
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1.5tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 3/4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 pack of wonton wrappers (will usually come in a pack of approx. 50)
- Roughly chop the prawns, then add to a bowl with all the ingredients except wonton wrappers. Mix through until well combined.
- Set up a wonton wrapping station with: a bowl of wonton filling, a small bowl of water, wonton wrappers and a clean plate.
- Lay your wonton wrapper out on a clean, dry surface so that it is orientated like a diamond. Add about a teaspoon of filling to the middle of the wonton wrapper. Dip a finger into the water and wet two edges of the square. Fold the edges over the filling into a triangle shape and press down to seal, making sure to press out any air. It’s important to create a nice tight seal around the filling for best results!
- Dip your finger into the water again and put a little bit on one bottom corner of the triangle, bring the two points together and press to join.
- In a reasonably deep pot, heat about 7cm of oil (we used peanut oil for ours) to 190C using an oil thermometer to monitor the temperature. It’s really important to get as close to this temperature as possible, as if the oil is cooler or hotter the wontons will not turn out as well.
- Fry for 4 - 6 mins until golden brown, then remove using a slotted spoon and allow to cool on a plate with plenty of paper towel.
- Serve with Cannings Sweet Chilli Sauce!
To boil (use this method for wonton soup!):
- Bring a pot with plenty of water or chicken broth (depending on whether you’re having them alone or in a chicken soup) to the boil.
- Place into the liquid and cook for 4 mins or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve!