Christmas Poultry Cooking Guide
A guide to cooking your festive poultry feast to perfection!
- Free Range Boneless Turkey Breast Roll (Stuffed or Plain), or Whole Free Range Whole Turkeys and Buffes
- 1x whole lemon sage, handful
- Thyme, handful
- 1x onion, chopped
- 3x garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Gravy, chicken stock or cranberry sauce
- Condiments: parsnip, nutmeg mash
Whole Free Range Whole Turkeys and Buffes
- Preheat your oven and drizzle olive oil over the skin. Place your turkey in a baking dish and cover with foil. Keep covered in foil for first half of cooking time. Remove foil and baste with the turkey juices every half an hour.
- If you have a meat thermometer - check to ensure that the thickest part of the breast is reading 70°C and if you have a whole turkey that's stuffed, the stuffing should read at least 65°C.
- Depending on the size of your turkey or buffe, you'll have to adjust the cooking times and temperatures slightly. See the table below.
- Once cooked - rest your turkey for 5 mins per kilo of meat.
- Serve with rosemary roasted sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and turkey gravy.
Free Range Boneless Turkey Breast Roll (Stuffed or Plain)
- Remove the breast roll from its packaging, but keep in oven-safe netting. Rub olive oil over the skin and gently cover the top with foil. Roast in a dish for 45 mins per kilo of meat on 180oC - for example, a 2.5kg turkey roll would need about 1 hour and 52 mins.
- Cover with foil for half of the cooking time then remove foil, baste with turkey juices or melted butter, then cook uncovered for the remaining time.
- When done, rest for 20 mins before serving.
- If you have a meat thermometer - check to ensure that the thickest part of the breast is reading 70°C.
- To serve, smother in gravy and cranberry sauce and serve with parsnip and creamy nutmeg mash.