Christmas Salmon Cooking Guide
A guide to cooking your festive salmon feast to perfection!
- Cannings Whole Ora King Salmon
- Salt and pepper
- Dill, handful
- 1x lemon
Whole Ora King Salmon
- Give the entire fish a rinse and pat dry with paper towels. If you want to add a bit of extra flavour, slice slits into the fish approximately 2cm deep and 7cm long vertically down the side of the fish - cut three or four of these on either side.
- Rub some salt and pepper into the inside of the fish, then add your favourite herbs (dill goes beautifully with fish) and some thin slices of lemon.
- Once you have done this, stuff the slits with salt, pepper, and the herbs/lemon (do this to both sides) as well.
- From here you can either BBQ or pop the salmon into your oven. For either of these methods, preheat to 170°C and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour - if your salmon is extra large it may even take a little longer than this so don't be afraid to check for doneness!
- For best results, baste and flip the fish every 15 minutes - this will make the skin nice and crispy and stop it from sticking to the grill or oven tray. We recommend basting with salted butter, but feel free to be creative and change it up!
- If you have a meat thermometer, at the end of the cooking time it should read about 49°C for rare and 54°C for medium. Ora King Salmon is absolutely gorgeous when still a bit pink/rarer in the middle!
- Rest for at least 10 mins before serving and you're ready to go!