Garlic and Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
Our go-to short rib recipe! Slow cooked with red wine and garlic, this dish is brimming with tender rib meat and hearty veg.
- 4 - 6 Cannings Grass Fed and Finished Beef Short Ribs
- 2 cups Cannings Free Range Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 cups red wine (we used a cab sav)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 brown onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- ½ medium bulb of garlic (about 4 - 5 cloves)
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 160C. Rub meat all over with salt and pepper.
- Finely dice celery and one carrot and set aside. Do the same with the onion and garlic. Chop the remaining carrot into larger chunks.
- In a high sided frypan (such as a cast iron pan) on the stove, heat a good lump of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. When the pan is nice and hot, add short ribs and brown on all sides. This will give a nice depth of flavour to the finished dish.
- Remove ribs from the pan and arrange in an oven safe baking dish (if possible, choose one with a lid), meat side down - you want as much of the meat to be covered by liquid as possible. Throw the larger carrot slices into this dish as well.
- Turn heat down to medium/low. Add in the onions and garlic and gently fry until soft (a couple of minutes), then add the diced carrot and celery. Fry until soft, then add the tomato paste and mix through.
- Pour in bone broth and red wine, then add the thyme and bay leaf. Give this mix a couple more minutes on the stove to combine and then pour over ribs in the baking dish.
- Pop a lid or some foil over the dish and slide into the oven for 3 hours, then remove the covering and bake for a further hour and a half on 140C.
- Remove from the oven - the meat should pull apart easily and be separating from the bone. Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!