Ham Hock Stock
A simple stock that works with a range of dishes to compliment and enhance flavours, perfect for a stew or broth!
- 1 - 2 Free Range Ham Hocks
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 5L water
- Add all ingredients to a large stock pot and cover with approx. 5L of water. Turn heat down to medium low and cook for approximately 4 hours or until the broth is well flavoured.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Grab your ham hock out and shred any remaining meat and put aside for use in other dishes.
- Optional step: allow broth to cool overnight so that the fat solidifies on top, then remove. You can then freeze or keep in your fridge for about 5 days.