Macaroni Cheese With Ham Hock
The perfect home made dish just got better! Add delicious ham hock to add an extra dimension to a timeless favourite.
- 1 Free Range Ham Hock
- 3 cups macaroni pasta
- 250mL double cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup cheddar and mozzarella cheese mix (shredded)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first step in this recipe is to make a ham stock using a ham hock (see recipe above). Make sure that when you do this you save the meat on your hock. When this is done, preheat your oven to 180C.
- Take 3 cups of ham stock and add to a pot on a medium to high heat and allow it to reduce down to around 1/2 cup of liquid and set aside.
- Add butter to a pot with flour and mix until it forms a paste. Slowly add cream to your sauce, stirring constantly. Add parmesan cheese and ham stock and continue to stir until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- At the same time, cook your macaroni in a pot of boiling water (to packet directions - aiming for al dente), then strain.
- Mix macaroni and the cheese sauce together, plus the shredded meat from your ham hock.
- Add pasta into an oven safe dish and top with the shredded mozzarella and cheddar. You can also add some breadcrumbs at this stage if you want it to have some extra crunch.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 20 - 30 mins or until cheese is golden on top.