Zucchini Boats with Beef Hash and Rainbow Veg Medley
Slow roasted zucchini boats filled with grass fed and finished beef mince and Cannings bacon, plus a generous side of colourful roasted veg.
- 500g Cannings Grass Fed Premium Beef Mince
- 1 extra large zucchini (or 2 average sized ones)
- 1 large brown onion
- 4 slices of Cannings Streaky Bacon
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- 1 stick of celery
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
For Rainbow Veg Medley:
- 1 beetroot ¼ head of cauliflower
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 chunk of pumpkin
- Half a leek
- Preheat oven to 180C. Chop zucchini in half and place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, then pop into the oven for 30-40 mins depending on size.
- In a frypan (cast iron preferred), heat a lug of olive oil. Roughly chop the onion and bacon, then add to pan with a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme on a low to medium heat. Allow to gently caramelise for around 15 minutes or until they look lovely and golden. Keep an eye on the level of heat as you don’t want them to burn.
- At the same time, finely chop the veggies for the rainbow medley plus a couple of sprigs of rosemary and add to a second baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, then add into the oven with the zucchini.
- Finely dice celery and garlic, then add into the pan with onions. Fry for a couple of minutes until the garlic is fragrant, then transfer everything into a separate bowl.
- Return frypan to heat and turn up to medium/high, adding a bit more oil if needed. Add mince to the frypan in two batches and cook until brown, before adding the onion mix back in.
- Leave on the stove but turn off heat on your pan. Throw in Worcestershire sauce, mixing through evenly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let the residual heat from the pan start to caramelise this sauce as you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Take the zucchini out of the oven and scoop out all the seeds so the zucchinis are hollow in the middle. Return to the oven (you can also leave the veggie medley in for this time as long as they’re not looking too brown) and turn heat up to 200C for a further 5-10 mins.
- Take all the veggies out of the oven, pop your zucchinis onto a plate and fill the cavity with mince. You can either pop the additional veggies on the side or sprinkle over the top of the mince. Finally, garnish with a generous amount of freshly chopped parsley and enjoy.