Herb Rubbed Porterhouse Steak With Kimchi Veggie Tray Bake
An easy midweek steak recipe perfect for when you feel like something delicious without a lot of messing around (or dishes!)
- 2 tbsp Murray River Salt Flakes (or any flaky salt)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Grass fed and finished Porterhouse Steaks (or more depending on how many you're feeding)
- 1 fresh beetroot
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 small brown onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 carrots
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 zucchini
- 1/4 head of cauliflower
- Kimchi (we used Gaga's Kimchi)
- Beef tallow
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Combine all ingredients for the spice rub in a small bowl and mix.
- Take your steaks out and season well on both sides with the spice rub, then leave out on the bench to come up to room temperature while you prep the veggies.
- Chop your beetroot, sweet potato and zucchini into cubes. Slice the onion into wedges, carrots into batons, cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Crush the garlic with the flat edge of a knife then chop in half.
- Throw all of your veg onto a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, plus a generous pinch of the spice mix (plus a little extra salt if you like). Pop into the hot oven and bake for about 25 minutes, shaking the tray to turn the veg about half way through.
- When your veggies have about 10 minutes left, take a cast iron skillet and let it get nice and hot on the stove.
- Pop in a chunk of beef tallow, and when it looks like it will sizzle when you put something in the pan, you're ready to add in your steak. Holding it with a pair of tongs, start your steak with the fat side down on the pan (pressing down). Keep it here until it starts to look brown and crispy. Then put the steak back down in the pan and cook on each side until a nice crust forms. We recommend using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature as you go, so you can cook it to your favourite doneness. For medium rare, you'll want to cook it to about 52C.
- Once your steak is done cooking, remove it from the pan and leave it to rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
- As your steak is resting, transfer your veggies to a serving dish, grab a few pinches of kimchi and sprinkle over the veg to taste.
- Slice your steak up into thin strips, plate everything up and enjoy!