Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Style Sauce
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. The flavours in the sauce and the marinade love a bit of extra time to infuse, so it’s good to start this the day before serving if you can!
- 1 Cannings Grass Fed and Finished Skirt Steak
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley leaves
- A big pinch of salt and pepper
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary (picked)
- 1 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil 5 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- A generous pinch of salt flakes
- A few cracks of freshly ground pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients, then rub all over the steak. Cover and marinate overnight if you can, or for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Finely chop parsley and oregano. If you’re short on time, you can use a food processor for this step, however it’s best to do it by hand!
- Combine the chopped herbs with all other sauce ingredients and mix well. Transfer to a container with a lid and if you can, leave it in the fridge overnight so the flavours can develop. If you’re short on time, pop it in the fridge while your meat marinates and take it out just before serving.
- When you’re ready to cook, take your steak out of the fridge. Leave it on the bench for a little bit before cooking so some of the chill can come out of it before cooking - this will help with tenderness.
- Get your BBQ or pan (cast iron is good for this) get nice and hot, then add your steak. Cook to your preferred doneness (use a meat thermometer for this).
- Take off the heat and rest the steak for about 10 mins. Remove the sauce from the fridge and give it a good stir (depending on how long it's been in the fridge it may need a few mins for the olive oil to become liquid again).
- Slice steak thinly, spoon sauce over generously and enjoy!