Cheat's 15 Minute Gyros
- 4-8 Cannings Free Range Chicken Steaks (our Gyros flavour is best for this, which our stores can prepare on request if not on display, otherwise the Lemon and Garlic Chicken Steaks will also work here. You can either do 1 or 2 Chicken Steaks per pita depending on how much meat you want)
- 4 Pitas
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- Lettuce leaves
- Dried oregano
- 1 tub Tzatziki
- Olive oil
- Start by cooking the chicken steaks - you can either do this on the pan or if you're entertaining they're awesome on the BBQ. Because chicken steaks are made with chicken thighs, it's good to cook them for a bit longer than you would with something like a breast to get the best texture.
- While the chicken steaks are cooking, cut the cucumber and tomato into cubes. Sprinkle over a generous pinch of oregano and mix through, then set aside until the chicken is ready.
- In a clean frypan, heat a little olive oil then warm the pitas one by one, allowing them to get some nice colour on each side.
- Remove chicken from the heat, then slice into strips.
- Assemble each pita with a big spoon of tzatziki, tomato and cucumber, shredded lettuce leaves, topped off with the chicken slices. You could also add thinly sliced red onion if you like.
- Fold up your pita and enjoy!
Note: Rather cook your chicken in the oven? For an even crispier, oven friendly version, swap out the chicken steaks for gyros marinated chicken chops and bake for around 35 mins on 180C, then remove the bone and slice. This will give you super crispy chicken skin which is always a welcome addition!