Christmas Chicken Cooking Guide
A guide to cooking your festive chicken feast to perfection!
- Free Range Whole Bendigo & Yapunyah Meadow Grazed Chicken
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Thyme, handful
- Sage, handful
- 1x lemon
- Condiments: asparagus, diced bacon, baby carrots, nutmeg mash
Free Range Whole Bendigo and Yapunyah Meadow Grazed Chickens
- Stuff with a whole lemon (stab the lemon a few times with the tip of a knife so the juices can escape) and a handful of sage. Rub skin with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. If you like, lay down a bed of roughly chopped onion and garlic cloves in your roasting pan and pop your chicken on top. This will add a lovely caramelised onion flavour to your drippings/gravy as well as your chicken.
- These birds are a little bigger than your typical roasting chicken and will usually take somewhere between 1 hr 20 - 1 hr 40 mins on 180C in a preheated oven (a meat thermometer is your best friend when it comes to poultry!). You can also crank your oven up to 220C for around 20 mins at the beginning of the cooking time to get the skin nice and crispy.
- If you have a meat thermometer, it should read somewhere between 67 - 70°C in the thickest part of the breast, without touching bone.
- Rest 15 - 20 mins before serving.
- Serve with roasted asparagus with diced bacon, and baby carrots.