Orange and Honey Glazed Chicken Chops with Baby Veg
A decadent, sticky sweet chicken recipe that's perfect for when you feel like a slightly healthier version of your favourite guilty pleasure takeaways (looking at you honey chicken). This recipe uses chicken chops, which are skin on, bone in chicken thighs, and provide a great 'crisp' factor. Chicken chops like to be cooked for a little longer than other cuts of chicken, which is perfect for recipes like this where you want a bit of extra time for the flavours to get to know each other!
- 8 Cannings Free Range Chicken Chops
- 1 orange
- ½ cup of fresh orange juice (you can use your orange for this or use bottled juice)
- ½ cup honey (local is best)
- ½ cup Cannings Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch thyme
- Salt flakes
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch baby carrots
- 1 bunch of baby beetroot
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 brown onion
- Use a grater to zest the orange. Rub chicken chops all over with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil and orange zest. Leave to marinate for half an hour or more.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the leafy parts off of the beetroot and carrots and pop into a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper, a generous lug of olive oil, thyme, and the sliced, crushed garlic. Mix until all the veggies are well coated.
- Slice the onion into wedges and lay out on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Add veggies and chicken pieces (skin side up) to the tray, making sure not to crowd it.
- Pop into the oven to bake for about 50 mins.
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare your glaze. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the orange juice, honey, bone broth, ¼ cup of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and balsamic. Sprinkle over a pinch of thyme and salt and stir regularly. Allow the glaze to reduce as the chicken bakes, so it’s slightly thicker and the flavours are more concentrated by the time it’s ready to come out of the oven.
- After 50 mins, your chicken should be looking reasonably crispy. Remove from the oven and set the beetroot and carrot aside, leaving the chicken on the tray (you may like to pop some foil over them to keep them warm). Pour the glaze mixture all over the chicken to coat. Put the chicken back into the oven for another 20 mins on 190C, basting with more glaze about halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then scoop up the extra glaze from the tray and drizzle over chicken. Plate everything up, garnish with fresh slices of orange and enjoy!